Jeremy King is a Ph.D. student in NSSPI working under Dr. Craig Marianno. He previously worked on a polyvinyl toluene (PVT) detector feedback package. His dissertation project is an integrated circuit beta particle detector intended for field use. The Radiation Integrated Circuit (RIC) was developed at Texas A&M to detect alpha particles, beta particles, and neutrons in different configurations. The detector uses radiation-soft and radiation-hard areas to exploit the anomalies created in radiation-soft circuits when they are struck by charged particles. The project began with MCNP simulations to update estimates of the detector’s performance and will carry on to include alpha and beta particle experiments. King was generously funded by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission Fellowship program for his first two years and is funded by the Department of Defense SMART Scholarship program for the remainder of his degree. The SMART program assigns scholars to a Department of Defense facility and provides employment after completion of the degree. Upon graduation, King will be working for the Department of Defense in Virginia.
- J.W. King, D.M. South, S.S. Chirayath, C.M. Marianno, "Experimental and Computational Verification of a New Remote Monitoring System Design for Spent Fuel Dry Cask Safeguards using Small-scale, Generic Diversion Scenarios", Nuclear Technology, 208 (2022).
- J. King, "An External Remote Monitoring System for Safeguarding Spent Nuclear Fuel in Interim Dry Cask Storage", Ph.D. Dissertation, Nuclear Engineering, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX (2022).
- C.M. Marianno, E.A. Ordonez, J.W. King, R. Suh, "Development of an optical sensor for measuring opacity changes in polyvinyl toluene scintillators", Radiation Physics and Chemistry, 179, (2021).rn
- J.W. King, M.D. Shah, C.M. Marianno, S.P. Khatri, S.S. Chirayath, "Computational Evaluation of Novel Beta Radiation Probe using Integrated Circuits", SN Applied Sciences, 3, 386 (2021).
- J. King and C. Marianno, "Monte Carlo Simulations to Predict the Energy Discrimination Capability of a Novel Beta Particle Detector", Poster. 64th Annual Meeting of the Health Physics Society, Orlando, Florida, 7–11 July 2019.
- J. King, S. Chirayath, E. Aboud, V. Bautista, P. Behne, H. Boo, R. Brownfield, J. Chisholm, K. Cook, A. Edwin, H. Kistle, P. O’Neal, E. Ordonez, M. Ramirez, S. Ricketts, R. Suh, "Safety Evaluation of a Spent Fuel Dry-Storage Canister with Various Fill Materials", Transactions of the American Nuclear Society, 120 (2019).