Every semester, NSSPI, along with staff at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), provides the opportunity for students to complete a week-long practical course at ORNL’s Safeguards Laboratory (SL). The course alternates between hosting undergraduate and graduate nuclear engineering students each semester. This activity helps the students understand and appreciate basic material control and accounting technologies focused specifically on detecting and measuring special nuclear material using NDA techniques. The time spent at the SL for students complements the theoretical education of the students.
Past Short Courses
- NSSPI Students Attend NDA Short Course at ORNL - From November 13-16, twelve Texas A&M University nuclear engineering graduate students from the TEES Nuclear Security Science and Policy Institute (NSSPI) traveled to the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Oak Ridge, Tennessee to participate in a short course in non-destructive assay (NDA) techniques at ORNL’s Safeguards Laboratory. The course consisted of lectures and hands-on experience […]
- Students Travel to ORNL for Hands-On Training at Safeguards Laboratory - Every year, a group of NSSPI students attend a nuclear security and safeguards short course in the Safeguards Laboratory at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). This year’s short course took place in April and the group consisted of five nuclear engineering graduate students currently working with NSSPI faculty and three students from the Bush School […]
- NSSPI Students and Faculty Take Part in Nuclear Security and Safeguards Workshop at ORNL - Six students from TAMU joined students from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Pennsylvania State University (PSU) to participate in a hands-on workshop on nuclear security and safeguards at the Safeguards Laboratory at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) from October 15-19, 2012. Faculty members Dr. Craig Marianno from NSSPI and Dr. Brenden Heidrich from […]
- NSSPI Sponsors NDA Applications Short Course Held at ORNL - During the week of October 24-28, a group of TAMU Nuclear Engineering students visited Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) in Oak Ridge, TN, to participate in the “Non-Destructive Assay (NDA) Applications for International Safeguards” practical short course at ORNL’s Safeguards Laboratory as part of the “Radiation Detection and Nuclear Material Measurements” class at TAMU (NUEN-605). […]
- NSSPI Sponsors NDA Techniques Training at ORNL - NSSPI sponsored twelve undergraduate students to visit the Safeguards Laboratory at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) in Oak Ridge, Tennessee May 17-21 for the Nuclear Material Safeguards Nondestructive Assay Techniques education and practical training course. Dr. Sunil Chirayath and Claudio Gariazzo of NSSPI organized and escorted the students on the trip, and Dr. Alexander Solodov […]