Jennifer Erchinger received her Ph.D. degree in nuclear engineering from Texas A&M University in August. She performed her doctoral research as a Post-Master’s Research Associate at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) with Dr. Craig Marianno as her adviser. Her project involves the development and testing of an ultra-low-background liquid scintillation counter constructed at PNNL.rnrnWhile at NSSPI, she presented at various conferences, including annual meetings for the Institute for Nuclear Materials Management and national and South Texas Chapter meetings of the Health Physics Society. She represented NSSPI at the International Seminar on Global Nuclear Human Resource Development for Safety, Security and Safeguards in Tokyo, Japan in February of 2013 and participated in a UK-Norway Initiative arms control exercise along with a group of other NSSPI students in Oslo, Norway. In the summer of 2014, she traveled to IIT-Kanpur in India for a 10-week research internship. She was also the recipient of the Robert S. Landauer, Sr. Memorial Fellowship from the Health Physics Society. Erchinger graduated with an M.S. in Health Physics under Dr. Marianno in May 2013, preceded by a B.S. in Chemistry from Texas A&M in May 2011. rnrnErchinger successfully defended her dissertation in September of 2016 and is currently working as a Scientist at Los Alamos National Laboratory supporting the Nuclear Smuggling Detection and Deterrence office.
- M. Boyd, J. Erchinger, C.M. Marianno, and G. Kallenbach, "Measurement and Analysis of the Extreme Physical Shock Environment Experienced by Crane-Mounted Radiation Detection Systems", International Journal of Nuclear Security, 5, 1(2019).
- J. Erchinger, "Development and Demonstration of an Ultra-Low-Background Liquid Scintillation Counter", Ph.D. Dissertation, Nuclear Engineering, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX (2017).
- J. Erchinger, M. Douglas, E. Fuller, B. Bernacki, M. Keillor, C. Aalseth, J. Orrell, S. Morley, G. Warren, C. Marianno, M. Panisko, and C. Mullen, "Background Characterization of an Ultra-Low Background Liquid Scintillation Counter", Applied Radiation and Isotopes, 126, 168 (2017).
- J.L. Erchinger, J.L. Orrell, M. Douglas, C.E. Aalseth, B.E. Bernacki, E.S. Fuller, M.E. Keillor, C.M. Marianno, C.A. Mullen, "Initial Background Evaluation of an Ultra-Low Background Liquid Scintillation Counter", Poster. 2016 IEEE Symposium on Radiation Measurements and Applications, Berkeley, CA, 22-26 May 2016.
- J.L. Erchinger, C.E. Aalseth, B.E. Bernacki, M. Douglas, E.S. Fuller, M.E. Keillor, S.M. Morley, C.A. Mullen, J.L. Orrell, M.E. Panisko, G.A. Warren, R.O. Williams, M.E. Wright, "Development of a low background liquid scintillation counter for a shallow underground laboratory", Applied Radiation and Isotopes, 105 (2015).
- Jennifer L. Erchinger, John L. Orrell, Craig E. Aalseth, Bruce E. Bernacki, Matthew Douglas, Erin C. Finn, Erin S. Fuller, Martin E. Keillor, Shannon M. Morley, Crystal A. Mullen, Mark E. Panisko, Sarah M. Shaff, Glen A. Warren, Michael E. Wright, "Development of an Ultra-Low Background Liquid Scintillation Counter for Trace Level Analysis", INMM 56th Annual Meeting, Indian Wells, California, 12-16 July 2015.
- J. Erchinger, C. Marianno, A. Herring, "Development of a Customized Radiation Monitor for Livestock Screening", Health Physics, 108, 5 (2015).
- C.M. Marianno, M. Smith, J. Trevino, and J. Erchinger, "A Radiation Contamination Exercise for Urban Search and Rescue Teams", 59th Annual Meeting Health Physics Society, Baltimore, Maryland, 13-17 July 2014.
- J. Erchinger and C.M. Marianno, "Utilizing RadResponder in Emergency Response Instruction", 59th Annual Meeting Health Physics Society, Baltimore, Maryland, 13-17 July 2014.
- N. Quintero, R. Khraisat, R. Elmore, J. Erchinger, M. Shah, S. Gerlt, R Zedric, M.T. Bani Ahmad, Z. Al-Taher, "Comparative Analysis of 3S Curriculum", 55th Annual Meeting of the Institute of Nuclear Materials Management, Atlanta, Georgia, 20-14 July 2014.
- S.L. Stewart, N. Quintero, J. Erchinger, M. Shah, S. Gerlt, R. Zedric, R. Elmore, T.C. Pope, R. Coogan, "The Top Ten Things You Need to Know about Non-Destructive Assay", 55th Annual Meeting of the Institute of Nuclear Materials Management, Atlanta, Georgia, 20-14 July 2014.
- J. Erchinger, C. Marianno, and A. Herring, "Development of a Specialized Radiation Portal Monitor for Livestock Screening", 2014 STC-HPS Student Presentations and Annual Business Screening Meeting, College Station, Texas, 29 March 2014.
- J. Erchinger, C. Marianno, and A. Herring, "Development of a Custom Portal Monitor for Detection of Radioactive Contamination on Livestock", 58th Annual Health Physics Society Meeting, Madison, Wisconsin, 10 July 2013.
- J. Erchinger, "Investigating the operational Capabilities of Custom and Pedestrian Portal Monitoring Systems for Screening Livestock for Radioactive Contamination", M.S. Thesis, Health Physics, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX (2013).
- C.M. Marianno, J.L. Erchinger, and A.D. Herring, "Using a Specialized Radiation Portal System to Monitor Livestock Following a Radiological Incident", 23rd Annual National Radiological Emergency Preparedness Conference, Austin, Texas, 8-11 April 2013.
- C.M. Marianno, J. Erchinger, A. Herring, "The Use of Pedestrian Portal Monitors to Detect Contamination on Livestock Following a Large Scale Radiological Incident", The 57th Annual Meeting of the Health Physics Society, Sacramento, CA, 22-26 July 2012.
- J. Erchinger, C.M. Marianno, "Regulations and Recommendation Regarding Livestock Decontamination", The 57th Annual Meeting of the Health Physics Society, Sacramento, CA, 22-26 July 2012.