Patrick O’Neal earned his M.S. degree in nuclear engineering from Texas A&M University in Spring 2020. He worked with Dr. Chirayath on a project to diagnose vulnerabilities in the thorium fuel cycle. This work involves analyzing the ability of different facilities to covertly produce weapons usable uranium-233 and devising safeguards solutions to prevent against this eventuality. O’Neal plans to continue his studies by pursuing a Ph.D. at Texas A&M. He hopes to research safeguards concerns in advanced reactor systems currently under development. He has previously conducted graduate research developing a methodology to perform combined analysis of nuclear facility security and safety risk for the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Nuclear Matters, and mentored a team of undergraduate students developing a remote holdup monitor for the Y-12 National Security Complex. Patrick graduated cum laude with his B.S in nuclear engineering from Texas A&M University in May of 2016.
- P. O'Neal, "Using Machine Learning Techniques to Verify Mixed Plutonium Sample Attributes", 63rd Annual Meeting of the Institute of Nuclear Materials Management (INMM), Virtual Conference, 25-27 July 2022.
- P.J O'Neal, S.S. Chirayath, and Q. Cheng , "A Machine Learning Method for the Forensics Attribution of Separated Plutonium", Nuclear Science and Engineering, 196,7 (2022).
- P. O'Neal and S. Chirayath, "Attribution Of Separated Plutonium Using Machine Learning Techniques", INMM and ESARDA Joint Annual Meeting, Virtual Meeting, August 23 – September 1, 2021.
- K. J. Glennon, E.M. Bond, T.A. Bredeweg, S.S. Chirayath, P.J. O'Neal, C.M. Folden III, "Nuclear forensics methodology identifies legacy plutonium from the Manhattan Project", Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, (2021).
- P.J. O. Neal, S.S. Chirayath, "Separated Plutonium Attribution using Machine Learning Techniques", Transactions of American Nuclear Society, 124, 428-431, June, (2021).
- P. O'Neal, "Comparison of U-233 Production by Thorium Irradiation in Heavy Water Reactor and Accelerator-Driven Subcritical Pile", M.S. Thesis, Nuclear Engineering, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX (2020).
- J. King, S. Chirayath, E. Aboud, V. Bautista, P. Behne, H. Boo, R. Brownfield, J. Chisholm, K. Cook, A. Edwin, H. Kistle, P. O’Neal, E. Ordonez, M. Ramirez, S. Ricketts, R. Suh, "Safety Evaluation of a Spent Fuel Dry-Storage Canister with Various Fill Materials", Transactions of the American Nuclear Society, 120 (2019).
- S.S. Chirayath, P.J. O'Neal, "Methodology Development for Combined Evaluation of Security and Safety Risk", Transactions of American Nuclear Society, 2017 ANS Winter Meeting, October 29-November 2, (2017).