Description: This reference module presents the language and vocabulary used within the nuclear safeguards community. The starting point for this list of terms and definitions is the IAEA Safeguards Glossary: 2001 Edition (PDF).
Purpose: To provide additional context for the definitions given in the IAEA document and additional resources for members of the safeguards community.
This reference module consists of the following sections:
- Purpose, Objective, and Scope of IAEA Safeguards
- Safeguards Approaches, Concepts, and Measures
- Nuclear and Non-Nuclear Material: Basic Terms
- Nuclear and Nuclear-Related Activities and Installations
- Nuclear Material Accountancy
- Nuclear Material Measurement Techniques and Equipment
- Containment, Surveillance, and Monitoring
- Environmental Sampling
- Safeguards Information and Evaluation
- Physical Protection Systems
- Threats to Nuclear Security
- Index of Terms